Annual Roohan Realty Sponsored Blood Drive
American Red Cross Blood Drive
by Jordan Golisano-VanNeil | May 5th, 2023 | Email – LinkedIn
Someone, your type, is out there, in need of your blood. On Tuesday, May 9th from 12PM – 6PM, Roohan Realty is sponsoring an American Red Cross Blood Drive at the Saratoga Springs City Center located at 522 Broadway, Saratoga Springs NY 12866.
Your donation is never a waste and in fact, is greatly needed! Two months ago the New York Blood Center declared its first blood emergency as blood donations were down 12%. All blood types are welcomed for donations, type O negative in particular because it is the universal donor; meaning anyone can receive it! If you don’t know which blood type you have, donating is a great, and free, way to find out.
Blood donations are used in a variety of medical treatments including surgeries, transfusions, cancer treatments, iron deficiencies and much more. Your donation will go through a 6 step process to make sure it is handled with care and gets to the right place.
- Step 1, Donation: Blood is donated by generous volunteers from different communities, such as here in Saratoga Springs on May 9th. Donation centers will collect one pint of blood in several small tubes.
- Steps 2 & 3, Testing Process: The test tubes are spun in centrifuges to separate them into transfusable components: red cells, platelets, and plasma. Your donation is then put through a dozen different tests to establish blood type and various other tests to make sure your blood is safe for patients to receive.
- Step 4, Storage: Donations are then stored in a refrigerated environment at 42.8 °F. Even if blood is not immediately needed, it can be stored for up to 42 days. Platelets are only able to be stored up to 5 days, so it’s crucial to ensure that platelet donation is ready to be used at any given moment!
- Step 5, Shipping: Your donation is shipped to hospitals where blood is arriving 24 hours, 7 days a week and then stored on site.
- Step 6, Transfusion: This is where the magic happens, your donation will be used in many different ways to help others in need.
Donating blood is always a generous way to help your community and those who are in need. With increased awareness of the need for blood donations, we can get more people giving! This, in turn, will help provide support to healthcare centers, hospitals, and most of all, those who are in need of blood.
Sign Up Here, or visit the American Red Cross for more information!
You might also like…
- latest blog posts
- Roohan Beat newsletter
- browse past Homes of the Week
- our interactive maps (boating, beaches, parks, trails & more)