360 Broadway (also 6-12 Phila Street)
Architecture and History of Saratoga blog series
by Commercial REALTOR® Olivia Huffman & Professor James Kettlewell
History of 360 Broadway (also 6-12 Phila Street) in Saratoga Springs, NY – Fires have greatly shaped the architectural history of Saratoga Springs. Records show that a large fire in 1865 cleared a number of buildings fronting on Broadway to Putnam Street.
After the 1865 fire, Terwilliger’s hardware store was rebuilt on the southeast corner and one of the upper floor tenants was the predecessor of the Daily Saratogian newspaper. Photo taken circa. 1874.
On the corner of Phila and Broadway, and next to the impressive Granite Palace building, 360 Broadway was re-built on a long, narrow lot on one of the city’s most prominent, and busiest corners.
In 1879, 360 Broadway was liquidated and the Commercial National Bank of Saratoga Springs opened its doors. Around 1880, the First National Bank of Saratoga Springs took over, which was only one of four banks to survive the panic of the late 1870s. In 1915, the bank merged with Citizens National and moved across the street.
The building follows the contours of Phila St which slopes downward towards Putnam Street. As a result, the building has an entire floor below the sidewalk on Broadway, with entrances on the even numbered side of the street at 6 through 12 Phila Street, as well as the main entrance on Broadway.
The building was constructed toward the tail-end of the High-Victorian style. According to Professor James Kettlewell, it features one of the most important Victorian doors on Broadway:
“The door at 360 Phila is a piece of art in its own right. The entire building has been meticulously maintained, with the first-floor featuring marble floors and ornate tin ceilings. The apartment with the skylight was home to the Saratoga photographer, James Wooley, and later the painter Ray Caulkins.”
“For sixty years, the corner of Broadway and Phila was located between The Grand Union Hotel, The Congress Hotel, and The United States Hotel,” Kettlewell notes, “each of which, in succession, were among the largest hotels on earth.”
While Broadway and Phila has always been one of the most prominent intersections in Saratoga Springs it is even more notable due to the recent grand opening of the Adelphi Hotel which has undergone a 28 million dollar restoration, and is now a leading tourist destination.
Today, 360 Broadway contains an upscale tobacco shop, residences, beauty salon and middle eastern restaurant. There is one retail space available on the Phila Street side, closest to the corner of Broadway.
Interested in renting retail space in Saratoga Springs? This historic building has commercial space available:
Rent retail space at 6 Phila Street
Space to be “Vanilla box” ready across the street from newly renovated Adelphi Hotel. Located in the heart of downtown Saratoga Springs shopping district. Municipal parking on the same block. Perfect for retail. Contact agent for showings and new proposed build out plans. View listing
Not what you’re looking for?
Search more commercial spaces for sale or rent:
About the Authors
Professor James Kettlewell graduated from Harvard Magna Cum Laude honors in the field of American Architecture. He began teaching at Harvard University and was a professor at Skidmore College in Saratoga Springs for many years. He was also the curator at the Hyde Museum in Glens Falls. His book on Saratoga architecture (pictured above) is available at Lyrical Ballad bookstore on Phila Street in downtown Saratoga Springs and on Amazon. www.jameskettlewell.com | Get his book on Amazon