Articles posted in Centennial Series

655 & 659 North Broadway – Saratoga Centennial

655 & 659 North Broadway Saratoga Springs, NY History of 655 & 659 North Broadway – Summer cottages lined North Broadway 100 years ago, and both 655 and 659 belonged to Troy natives. 655 North Broadway was built in 1897 for W. Stone Smith, owner of the steel company Burnett and Smith. A wealthy man, Smith served on the board of directors for several banks. In the 1930s and 40s, this home…

Read More »

649 North Broadway – Saratoga Centennial

649 North Broadway Saratoga Springs, New York History of 649 North Broadway – Built in 1856 for Lewis P. Close, a merchant and postmaster, this pre Civil War Federal style brick home is one of the older homes on North Broadway. In 1880, Orton J. Brown purchased the property. Brown was a well-known hotel man who operated both the Grand Union and the United States Hotels. Brown’s wife, Sara, passed away…

Read More »

Franklin Square Part II – Saratoga Centennial

1-2 Franklin Square, Saratoga Springs In case you missed it, here’s last week’s post on the history of 3 and 4 Franklin Square History of 2 Franklin Square – Built in 1870 by by George Harvey, whose lumber was located at Walworth and Division Street, 2 Franklin Square showed the traditional post-Civil War era construction of big, bold and beautiful. Sold to Dr. Valencourt Deuell, the Daily Saratogian, dated November…

Read More »

Franklin Square – Saratoga Centennial

3-4 Franklin Square, Saratoga Springs History of 4 Franklin Square – Historic Franklin Square, once called Marvin Square, dates to the 1830s when Thomas Jefferson Marvin built 4 Franklin Square in 1832, and James Monroe Marvin built 3 Franklin Square in 1836. The brothers renamed the area Franklin Square in honor of Benjamin Franklin. Both brothers had ownership interest in the United States Hotel and were community leaders. Thomas Marvin was born…

Read More »

Saratoga Centennial – 717 North Broadway

Note: There will be no Centennial update next week due to the holiday, but the series will resume on Thursday, December 3rd. Wishing everyone a happy and safe holiday, and special thanks to our readers who join us in revisiting a piece of Saratoga Springs history each week! Happy Thanksgiving! 717 North Broadway, Saratoga Springs History of 717 North Broadway – 717 North Broadway was a grand summer cottage with an…

Read More »

Saratoga Centennial – 719 North Broadway

719 North Broadway, Saratoga Springs   History of 719 North Broadway – Built in approximately 1870, this property was used as a summer residence for over 130 years. Joseph Fuller, a stove manufacturer from Troy, New York summered here several weeks in the year. The most notable Fuller was Joseph’s daughter, Mary Wiltsie Fuller who was a cottager until her death in 1943. Mary was a progressive activist for women’s rights,…

Read More »

Saratoga Centennial – 718 North Broadway

718 North Broadway, Saratoga Springs History of 718 North Broadway – This Italianate Villa was built in 1865 for General Winsor B. French.  French was the organizer of Company D of the 77th Regiment (Saratoga County’s volunteer regiment in the Civil War), and it was he who raised the money to erect the Civil War monument that stands in Congress Park today.  French was a partner in the Pond, French…

Read More »

Saratoga Centennial – 720 North Broadway

720 North Broadway, Saratoga Springs The Ellis Cottage History of 720 North Broadway – The home was built in 1886 for William D. Ellis, president of the Schenectady Locomotive Works and the Ellis Steamship Line. The Ellis family were summer cottagers to Saratoga. This Queen Anne cottage was designed by architects Charles Berg and Edward Clark, who also served as architects for the US Capitol from 1865 -1902. Ellis Hospital…

Read More »

Saratoga Centennial – 743 North Broadway

743 North Broadway in Saratoga Springs, NY History of 743 North Broadway – City records indicate this home was built in 1840, however research indicates that in the 1800s listings for the Manor School for Girls and Cornwall Manor all had different addresses for the property that was on the southwest corner of North Broadway and Third Street. In 1915, City directory first lists the actual address of 743 North…

Read More »

Saratoga Centennial – 760 North Broadway

760 North Broadway Saratoga Springs, NY History of 760 North Broadway – 760 North Broadway was built in 1910 for William Lord Hall, a shirt manufacturer from Troy, New York. Hall and his wife Lucy called the two acre estate Shadowlawn. In 1929, Hall sold the property to Mr. and Mrs. Adelbert Hayden. Mrs. Hayden was an active civic and patriotic leader. A member of the DAR, Civic League, Red Cross,…

Read More »
Older »

Sign up for the latest news, updates & more!