Tom Roohan, 2018 REALTOR® of the Year
Presented by the Greater Capital Region Association of REALTORS®, Inc.
We are proud to announce that our Principal Broker and President, J. Thomas (“Tom”) Roohan, has been named 2018 REALTOR® of the Year by the Greater Capital Region Association of REALTORS® (GCAR)!
The award is given out to one REALTOR® each year who has demonstrated a commitment to excellence in their work, their community, and put forth outstanding efforts on behalf of the Association. The award was presented yesterday during a board meeting, with several of Roohan’s colleagues and family attending to join in the surprise celebration.
Born and raised in Saratoga Springs, Roohan studied Civil Engineering at Norwich University before becoming a second generation fixture in his family’s real estate business. With more than 35 years of experience in the real estate industry, Roohan’s career has included award-winning historic renovation and urban development projects, and past honors as REALTOR® of the Year (1989) and President of the Saratoga County Association of REALTORS® (1989-90).
Roohan’s real estate accomplishments are outmatched only by his community leadership and volunteer experience. Together, they comprise an long list of local involvement that serves as a true testament to his character and leadership style:
- Eastern New York Regional MLS Treasurer (Present, incoming President)
- Saratoga Hospital Board of Directors (2017-Present)
- American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure Participant (2014-Present)
- Saratoga Springs City Center Authority Member (2011-Present, currently Chairman)
- Luther Forest Technology Campus Board of Directors (2009-Present, current President)
- Adirondack Trust Company Board of Directors (2001-Present)
- Saratoga Springs Downtown Special Assessment District member (1998-2005, 2008-Present)
- New York Racing Association Local Advisory Board for Saratoga Race Course (2008-Present)
- American Red Cross Eastern New York Blood Hero award (2018)
- Catholic Charities Centennial Medallion recipient (2017)
- Wesley Society Certificate of Membership for generous contributions (2017)
- Rebuilding Together Saratoga County Good Neighbor Award (2015)
- Saratoga Springs Preservation Foundation Adaptive Reuse Award recipient (2010, 2012)
- Saratoga Central Catholic School’s Board of Directors (2005-2012, past President)
- YMCA Trustee and Secretary (1992-2010)
- New York State Commission on Public Authority Reform
- AAA Northway Director (1997-2004)
- Mary’s Haven Hospice Facility Donor (2003)
- Saratoga County Planning Board (1998-2001)
- Leadership Saratoga Distinguished Alumni (1998)
- Saratoga County Chamber of Commerce Chairman (1997)
- Saratoga Hospital Foundation President (1994-1995)
- Friendly Sons of Saint Patrick President (1995)
“Tom is both a boss and a leader,” says Kate Deloria, who has worked at Roohan Realty for over 20 years.
“Being the boss means that you’re in charge of a team or the whole organization. You assign tasks, have control over employees and make crucial decisions. Being a leader means being able to influence and inspire others – to make the best of them. It’s a person who leads others by example, has a vision and stays committed to goals. Both descriptions sound like two sides of one coin, but not every boss is a leader, and not every leader is a boss. Tom, luckily for us, is both. He is always modest, always ready to listen and always the first person to ask if he can help no matter what you need.”
Another longtime colleague, Meg Minehan (Associate Real Estate Broker) celebrated her 25th anniversary with the company earlier this month.
“Over the quarter of a century I’ve worked with Tom, his loyalty, fairmindedness, thoughtfulness and incredible business acumen have always amazed me,” Minehan says. “Three of my five family members have worked at Roohan Realty. It’s truly a family affair.”
That family-centric approach has not only become a touchstone of the Roohan brand, but also helped us achieve 50 years in business – an incredible milestone that we’re excited to celebrate with the community in 2019.
Thank you to all of our clients, colleagues, family and friends for your ongoing support!